Brexit! As negotiations begin on Britain leaving the EU we take a look at the impact on EU workers travelling to Britain and why they have stopped going. Find out more in our podcast.
Before you listen consider the following questions:
- When will Britain actually leave the EU?
- What jobs do you think Britain has relied on immigrant workers from the EU for?
- Would you want to work in the UK after the Brexit vote?
Now listen to the podcast and try to answer the following questions:
- What was the margin in the British referendum to leave the EU?
- What is the name of the British Prime Minister that called the referendum and what happened to him?
- What did Theresa May promise to do in return for the support of the Democratic Unionist Party?
- By what percentage has recruitment of nurses from the EU fallen?
- In which other sector is there a recruitment crisis?
Read the podcast script here in English and Spanish.
After you listen: reflect on the article.
- Are you surprised by the fact that nurses from the EU do not want to work in Britain post-Brexit?
- Do you think freedom of movement in Europe is a good thing? Are there any negative aspects to it?
- Do you feel positive or negative towards membership of the EU?
If you are a teacher you can download our lesson plan based on this podcast here.