It’s my birthday (and I’ll cry if I want to!) was a hit for Lesley Gore in 1963. James reaches his 50th Brithday here at Go English, and isn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. Find out more…
Before you listen consider the following questions:
1. What is a milestone birthday?
2. Are you under or over 50? Do you consider it to be a significant birthday?
3. Do you reflect on your life when it’s your birthday? Or do you simply celebrate?
Now listen to the podcast and try to answer the following questions:
1. What does James describe as ‘an exciting prospect’?
2. James cites Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as exceptions to a rule – what is the rule?
3. What physical feature is remarkable about James’s dog?
4. How many days off school did James have as a child?
5. Why is it good to fail?
6. Does James believe in the expression ‘you can’t teach an old dog new tricks’?
Read the podcast script here.
After you listen: reflect on the article.
- Have you, or anyone in your family had a ‘milestone’ birthday recently? How did you celebrate?
- Does middle age bring with it any benefits? Think of as many positives as you can.
- Has your life turned out differently to what you imagined as a child?
See how many sentences you can make using the expression below:
Example: James says: I never imagined I’d be living in Spain at 50.
‘’I never imagined I’d…
If you are a teacher you can download a lesson plan based on this podcast here.